한국농림기상학회지, 제 10권 제4호(2008) (pISSN 1229-5671, eISSN 2288-1859)
Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, Vol. 10, No. 4, (2008), pp. 167~176
DOI: 10.5532/KJAFM.2008.10.4.167
ⓒ Author(s) 2014. CC Attribution 3.0 License.


한반도 지역에서 관측된 꽃가루 농도 특성에 관한 연구

박기준(1), 김헌애(2), 김규랑(1), 오재원(3), 이선영(1), 최영진(1)
(1)국립기상연구소 응용기상연구과, (2)기상청 생활안전기상과,
(3)한양대학교 의과대학 소아과

(2008년 11월 25일 접수; 2008년 12월 17일 수정; 2008년 12월 30일 수락)

Characteristics of Regional Distribution of Pollen
Concentration in Korean Peninsula

Ki-Jun Park(1), Heon-Ae Kim(2), Kyu Rang Kim(1), Jae-Won Oh(3),
Sun-Young Lee(1), Young-Jean Choi(1)
(1)Meteorological Application Research Laboratory, National Institute of Meteorological Research,
KMA, 45 Gisangcheong-gil, Dongjak-gu, Seoul, 156-720, Republic of Korea
(2)Welfare Meteorology Division, Meteorological Industry and Information Technology Bureau, KMA, Korea
(3)Departments of Pediatrics, Hanyang University College of Medicine, Korea

(Received November 25, 2008; Revised December 17, 2008; Accepted December 30, 2008)

ABSTRACT
Airborne pollen is known as one of the major causal agents to respiratory allergic reactions. Daily number of pollen grains was monitored using Burkard volumetric spore traps at seven locations including Seoul and Jeju during 1997-2007. Pollen grains were observed throughout the year especially from February to November. They showed similar distribution patterns of species among locations except in Jeju, where Japanese cedar vegetation is uniquely found. Peak seasons for pollen grains from trees and weeds were March to May and August to October, respectively. Tree pollens were mainly composed of pine, oak, alder, and birch. Weed pollens were mainly from Japanese hop, Worm wood, and ragweed. Diameter of pollen grains, which has a typical range of 20~60μm, has close relationship with allergenicity. Allergenicity of tree and weed pollens is higher than that of grass pollens in general. In the case of trees and shrubs, pine trees account for about 70% of all tree pollens. However, pine pollens are weak allergens. The remaining 30% of tree pollens, including alder trees, white birches, and oaks, are moderate to strong allergens despite the smaller numbers. Grass and weeds are also highly likely to cause allergies. Especially, the pollens of Wormwood and Japanese hop are highly likely to cause allergies. Daily fluctuations in the number of pollens have to do with a variety of meteorological factors, such as temperature and rainfall.

Keyword: Pollen, Trees, Pine, Weeds, Allergenicity, Pollen calendar

MAIN

REFERENCES

Anderson, J. H., 1985: Allergenic airborne pollen and spores in Anchorage, Alaska, Annals of Allergy, 54, 390- 399

Buck, P., and E. Levetin, 1985: Airborne pollen and mold spores in a subalpine environment, Annals of Allergy, 55, 794-801

Hiroshi, Y., Y. Yasuo, S. Takaharu, and S. Takao, 1983: Isolation and particle characteristic of the major allergen from Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria japonica) pollen, Journal of Allergy Clinic Immunology, 71, 77-86crossref(new window)

Kaufman, H. S., and K. Ranck, 1988: Antigen recognition in Filipinos, Japanese, Chinese, and Caucasians, Annals of Allergy, 60, 53-56

Korean Academy of Pediatric Allergy and Respiratory Disease, 2001: Allergy plant in Korea, Sikmulchujang, 95pp. (in Korean)

Lewis, W., and W. Imber, 1975: Allergy epidemiology in the St. Louis, Missouri Area II, grasses, Annals of Allergy, 35, 42-50

Oh, J. W., 2002: Pollinosis and aerobiological characteristics of pollen, Journal of the Korean Pediatric Society, 45(12), 247-254. (in Korean)

Oh, J. W., 2006: The Correlation between increased sensitization rate to weeds in children and the annual increase in weed pollen in Korea, Korean Journal of Pediatric Allergy and Respiratory Disease, 16(2), 114- 121. (in Korean with English abstract)

Oh, J. W., and Lee, H. B., 1997: The study of distribution pollen and mold in Guri, Gyeonggi-do, Korean Journal of Pediatric Allergy and Respiratory Disease, 7, 57-68. (in Korean with English abstract)

Singer, B. D., L. H. Ziska, D. A. Frenz, D. E. Gebhard, and J. G. Straka, 2005: Increasing Amb a 1 content in common ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia) pollen as a function of rising atmospheric $CO_2$ concentration, Function Plant Biology, 32, 667-670crossref(new window)

Stach, A., M. Smith, C. A. skjoth, and J. Brandt, 2007: Examining ambrosia pollen episodes at Poznan (Poland) using back-trajectory analysis, International Journal of Biometeorology, 51, 275-286crossref(new window)

Vzquez, L. M., C. Galn, and E. D. Vilches, 2003: Influence of meteorological parameters on Olea pollen concentrations in Cordoba (South-Western Spain), International Journal of Biometeorology, 48, 83-90crossref(new window)

WMO, 2001: Climate Change 2001, IPCC, pp. 203